Friday 28 February 2014

Letter to my mother

Dear mum, 

Just like in dad's case, I doubt you will ever get to read this but in case you do, just know that I meant every word of it and it is straight from the bottom of my heart. 

As I was walking from the house to the bus stop this morning, I saw a small coffin heading to its final resting place and it broke my heart to think about the child that lay in it. What broke my heart more was to imagine the mother of that child and the pain she must be going through. This is the one person who has seen every step that the child has made ever since they took their first breath.

Mum, you are that person to me. I can only imagine how you felt when you held me close to you bosom and looked at that little and fragile new born bundle of joy almost two and a half decades ago. To imagine how you cared for that weak and helpless baby boy that is a grown man now. To be honest, it was your choice for me to be born and alive this day. The decision you made to keep the baby as soon as you knew that I existed is the reason I am alive and I thank God for His wisdom in making that decision.

Fast forward a few years later when the tender baby was a big boy. You taught me how to pray, you taught me right and wrong; you encouraged me whenever I did good and whooped by behind whenever I was not a good boy and I did not like you very much for it; at that moment you were not a very a good mother. Looking back at those days, I realize it was only for my good since those are the same values that guide my life to this day. 

You taught me how to read my bible and to pray; a value that even  my aunts admired even when I was a young boy. On my many visits to them, they would always insist that I be the one to lead in prayers for meals and I did it proudly knowing too well that my mother had done a wonderful job teaching me how to do it. Would I be this proud redeemed sinner that I am today had it not been for you??? I really doubt that. I know that you always have my best interests at heart, and you are always standing by me to ensure that I turn out to be a God fearing and good man. 

I am proud to have you as my mother, not just the woman who bore me, but the woman who took me through the various stages of growing up and ensured that I turned out the way I am. You did not just give birth to me, but you also nurtured me, cared for me, you guided me and you loved me. What more would a child ask of their mother???

A long way down the road, I am a grown up now and even though I will always remain a child in your eyes; I will always be your son and more so your last born; I have to move on with life. I am sorry mum that I cannot remain in the nest forever; I've got to jump out and spread my wings, I have to experience life out there and plan on how to build my own family, how to make a difference in this world. You have already played you part, and you have done it exceptionally well,  and got me to where you were meant to; the rest is for me to do. 

I know you would like to raise me just as your parents raised you, but the  world right now is not the same and I just need you to trust that whatever you have taught me this far is good enough to bring me success. I want to make you proud of me, I want to show you that you did an amazing job raising me up. I want you to sit back, smile and proudly say,  "That's my boy. ". 

However much I grow up, just know this; you are still my mother and I will always treat you as such, and no one can ever replace that. I will love you, value you and care for me as a son would their mother. I am proud of what you have done for me and I will always cherish it. 

I love you with all my hear mum. 

With love from your son, 
Grey. 

PS. I'm sorry I have grown up faster than you expected and I'm moving on too fast.

6 comments:

  1. very profound words. its true you will never outgrow her, you remain her son though grown up so fast! may your children get to say Nice things about their mum and dad as well. God bless mothers, they are Angels living with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. they happen to be the dearest ones on earth...i wish you could try and make her shed a joyous tear by reading this to her....May God bless her for the good work and more so for being such a mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kundos. I'm sure Mum is proud of you, and you've put a dial on her face.

    ReplyDelete