Friday 21 February 2014

Dear Dad...

Dear dad, 

I do not think you will ever read this (that is mostly because you are analogue) but I would just like to dedicate today to letting you know a little of what I think about you. It has taken me quite some time to find the right words to say and I hope I use the right ones. 

I am not very sure how other sons feel about their dads but I sure am lucky to have you as mine. I do not just have a dad, I have a father; it is not just about the male parent that I have but that he has been there, he has been a part of my life and he still is a huge part of my life.

I remember the days you came home and closed yourself in your bedroom and smoked your time away.  I was only a child but it was a concern especially since our teachers told us it was wrong. And then there was the alcohol; that too, the teacher said was bad. Now I never really understood why you did it and maybe I never will but I thank God for making all that go away. I can not imagine if you still came home smelling booze n cigarette smoke up to today. 

Then there was those times you gave us a little rum mixed in coke... just an honest question here, What were you thinking??? Anyway, I will not dwell there since what you have done so far is reason enough to forget all that. God is really great since you are a whole different man today.

If there is one thing that I admire about you, it is how much you trust in God, so much so that the word stress is nowhere near your vocabulary. Lord how I pray you will teach me to be just like my father, to learn to trust in you fully. 

Thank you so much dad for teaching me how to make my own choices, I think that is one of the most important things that you have taught me. You let me decide which schools I wanted to go to, what I wanted to learn in University, and even when I was starting my own business, you still encouraged me. I hope I will be the same to my son when I have one some day. 

I know your current businesses do not allow you to live at home right now and to be honest, I do miss you sometimes; many times actually. I miss having a male figure I can relate to sometimes, someone I can just share with in the evening before I go to bed. That is why I value those chats we have when you come by once in a while. I think it is now that I really know how valuable you are, I am sorry it has come when you are away but I guess it is true what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

How I want to be like you in so many ways and I pray that I will   be a father, just like you have been to me; to love my kids and support them in all they will do, to guide them to know God and to direct them and correct their errors and most importantly to let them follow their dreams. I really pray that I will make a better father than you were to me; I've just got to beat you dad, and I pray God that this will come to pass.

I pray every day that God will watch over your life and  and bless all that you do, your crops your animals and all the great ideas that you have. May God just fulfill all the desires of your heart.

Thanks for showing me who a father is, I am proud to have you as mine. I love you dad.

Your one and only son, 
Grey

1 comment:

  1. Awww this is Nice....
    Thank God you realize how important he is and may those heart desires be attended to and answred.
    Good read as usual. Keep on

    ReplyDelete