Thursday 3 March 2016

RAGE

 

So as I sit down writing this, I am from a point of seeking peace and calm. 

Anger, rage, frustration... these are 3 words that simply explain what I was feeling a while ago and many times what many of us feel so often. 

Just a few moments ago, I had someone walk into my office with rage and anger and it took lots of grace not to get to the point of having an argument. I could feel anger building up inside, I could feel every muscle in my body aching to just erupt and let go of all that piling pressure, I could feel my breathing get heavier by the second and the rage building up inside. I wanted to shout, I wanted to get angry, I wanted to be heard... 

But it took way more grace to walk away, it took way more strength to hold back and find a quiet and peaceful place where I could sit and have some time with God. And seated there in silence, I asked God to forgive me for what I had just felt, I asked God to take that away from me because certain that it was not from Him. 

And as I sat there, God sent me this word; 

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14

Just breaking this down helped me ask myself a few questions as I meditated on the situation I had just experienced... According to v. 12, there's 5 things listed that I should clothe myself with; 

  1. Compassion
  2. Kindness
  3. Humility
  4. Gentleness
  5. Patience
I had to take time to ask myself if I had shown these 5 attributes in my time of anger, realizing I had not was the first thing and seeking forgiveness from God because I had gone against His will.  

I can assure you this, it is not always easy to find theses 5 attributes in certain situation, but Paul reminds us that once we are clothed in this at all times, then even as these situations come our way, we'll easily find these attributes in us, enough for us to control ourselves. 

Paul then goes on to talk about forgiveness; and for me, I needed to seek forgiveness for what was sin and to forgive for the situation I had found myself in. You see, when we want to take control of situations around us, it gets very easy for us to sin... against God and against our brothers and sisters. And forgiveness then becomes key... and it's forgiveness, just as Christ forgave us. Find it in your heart to forgive. 

Above all these is love, it binds all these other things in perfect unity. If we have love in our hearts, there's just no room for anger and rage to build in us, whatever the situation. Paul just caps it all up in a way that reminds us all that, if we follow and live by, then we'll put away all the discord, anger, rage etc that causes us to sin and separates us from God. 

I think writing this was more for me, to find peace and to find an answer to my current situation... but I do hope it provides peace for you as you read it and share it with those around you. 

Love one another!

Prayer
Dear Lord of love, please forgive me for the times I have been angry at my brothers and sisters; may I find it in my heart to forgive them. Lord I pray that you clothe me in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience all these capped in love that is from You. Tank you for listening to my prayer, in Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment