Wednesday 10 February 2016

CONNECTED

 

One of the best things about starting 2016 was that I got a watch as a gift; and it was from a very special person, so you can only imagine what it meant to me. Having had the same watch for almost 7 years, I have to admit I was quite attached to it, so a new one was going to be one to adjust to... but I loved the feel of a new one.
I however had one challenge though... Its battery. I got a new one for it as soon as I could, but a few days later it was dead. I couldn't tell why because in my mind the new battery was still good. The watch was new, the battery was new... No way it could be a fake. It was quite disappointing, though I still continued to wear it. 

I visited a watch shop and the information I got is that the battery was a fake... A fake! Really!? And he was right. I bought a new one again, and the watch is still ticking along and I'm all about the time piece I got as a gift. It's a memory of the person who gave it to me... One that I wear proudly and think about every time I check the time. 

And this experience reminded me of a few life lessons... 

Now, the challenge I had was that my lovely watch was that it was not connected to a power source, hence even if I wore it every day, it still did not serve it's purpose. 

Let's think of a different situation. What car do you fancy? Yes, think about it... You're sure that's the one, the one you're thinking about... Yes, that one.  Imagine you had the chance to own it, but with one thing missing... Its battery. Remember this, it's a car. It's meant to be driven, to move from point A to point B. Let the whole world see you in it. But without a battery, how will that happen?? There is no way you are showing that off. 

I bet you have a mobile phone in you're pocket right now...maybe it's on your desk, or that's how you're reading this. If you take out its battery, or even it's Sim card, then you are no longer connected. What then becomes the point of you having that phone? 

I was reading an article somewhere recently on the most annoying things in the world right now. And somewhere near the top of that list is slow WiFi connection.

Yes, connection... That's what we are talking about today, connections. 

Everything in this world needs to have a connection to serve it's intended purpose... My watch, that car you dream about, your mobile device, your laptop, radio. It's all about the connection.  

Our lives have the exact same principle... Firstly, we have a purpose, one that our maker says He intended for us even before we came into this world.  
"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" Ephesians 2:10

Yes, way before you were born, you had an intended purpose. Before every device in this world was created, the inventor sat down and thought about what that device would achieve once it was created. So did our Maker... He knew the reason He made you, the reason He chose everything about you, your family, your job, your school, your life partner... everything was designed for you in advance. 

But...the tricky bit is, just like the connections we talked about, our lives as well, need to be connected to a power source so as to achieve their intended purpose. 

So what is your connection??? Here's a hint... 

"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." John 15:4

The connection we need to achieve our purpose in this world, is a connection to our Maker. How else do we know who we are if not by knowing Him who made us?? Just like a manual is the guide from the creator to an end user of an appliance, we have our Maker who knows us and knows why He made us. 

We battle so many times with why we exist, we battle with why things go the way they do and we find anger and disappointment creeping into our lives. We get so lost trying to find ourselves, yet we have the answer right in our faces... get connected to God!!!

3 comments:

  1. wow!!!! all that from a lesson from a watch...you are blessed and may God continue using you to remind us that we are nothing without Him. Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete