Friday 8 January 2016

TIMOTHY LESSONS; CHRISTIAN LIVING

 

As the year was ending, I got the opportunity to teach on the book of 2 Timothy. It was quite the experience for me, firstly in teaching the word and secondly in the reminder of living as a Christian. 

I realized how important it is for us to understand that at the time Paul was writing the letter to Timothy, his situation was similar to our current generation in so many ways that it feels like Paul is writing to you and I. So out my experience and the lessons I learnt, I thought Id do a summary and share it so that even as we live as Christians, we understand the realities that come with our Faith. 

The image I got when studying the book was an old man (maybe in his late 60s), Paul, getting to the finish line before the much younger guy who is in his early 30s, Timothy, and the old man turns back to get the young guy so that he too can finish the race... and this is the advice the young fellow gets; 

1. GROW IN FAITH
The way Paul puts it, I realized that in as much as we have our faith, it is only likely to grow if we are the ones who put the effort to build it. What God has done is to provide us with the Holy Spirit who creates situations for us to work on our faith. 
"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands." 2 Tim 1:6
2. LIVE UNASHAMED
"So do not be unashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me His prisoner. But join in me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God" 2 Tim 1:8
Are you ashamed of who you are? Would you stand up in all situations and accept your Christianity or would you hide it to favour the situation?? Enough said...

3. ENDURANCE
Now who said Christianity is easy? Ever think of how easy it is to sim, how easy it is to gratify the desires of the flesh? The reverse is true, it takes pain and effort to deny the flesh and live in the Spirit. I can bet you we have all had the experience.

4. WORK FOR GOD
Next thing Paul talks about is being a good workman, approved by God. And it takes 2 things for the apporval;
  • be unashamed
  • study God's word
Question; any chance you want to get approved by God??

5. FLEE EVIL
Paul takes time to give a list of so many things that will destroy our lives  if we give them the chance to. He talks about the desires of our youth, a situation most of us are in right now. How many times does something feel right just because other people are doing it? How many times do we do things just because we only live once, Y.O.L.O?
"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Tim 2;22

What do you pursue every single day of your life? And the reason Paul uses the word flee is because if you even give it a second thought, you will surely fall into sin... but he says flee, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

6. GOD'S WORD
He starts by talking about the false teachers... the lies that have been told to us. However, the only way to know a lie is to understand the truth. So what is the truth??

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" 2 Tim 3:16
 What matters is the word of God... if you understand the truth, then you will know a lie and flee from it.

7. FINISH THE RACE
At the end of it, Paul is rejoicing... He has finished the race. In any case, who does not rejoice when they finish a race? There is always a reward.

I do not know about you, but I am certain I want to work for that reward... at the end of it, I just cannot wait for God to look at me and say, "Well done good and faithful Servant"!!!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing for me my biggest take away is not being ashamed of the gospel...so many times we are tempted to just fit in and go with the status quo when we are called not to conform

    ReplyDelete