Thursday 7 January 2016

RESOLUTIONS 2015

 

Happy new year!!!  

We are in 2016 and I have to admit, it is God's doing that we are here. 

Yes, this post is titled Resolutions 2015, it's actually a reflection of the resolutions I made in 2015. 

Question... what was your resolution for 2015? Did you achieve it? No need to answers, these are rhetorical questions.

 

I have heard all sorts of resolutions in the few years I have been alive, made my own as well. I can't say I achieved them all at the end of each year, many at times I have forgotten them by the end of January. I can almost bet I'm not the only only who has gone through that. 

And 2015 was not any different for me, the year started and I was meant to make my resolution. But for the first time, I did it differently... I asked God what He wanted for my 2015, and that was the beginning of the most amazing year I have ever had. You see, at the point I asked God what He wants from me is the point where everything started. One huge lesson that I learn is that our resolutions are always based on our desires, forgetting that the most important desire is God's. 

God's desires for us are not always easy, that I came to know. But, they are always good desires. In as much as we have what we want to achieve, in as much as we have goals set in our lives, ever think of asking God what goal He has for you? Ever think of making it about God and not about what we (selfishly) desire?

"... Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8
 We are human; our desires, our wants, our directions... they all tend to take the human aspect of us. But, how often do you remember that God knows all that even before we ask of it? And how many times do we rely on doing things our own way even when we realize that we just can not do it? Maybe that is how we end up not achieving our resolutions. 

And that was my 2015. I asked God what he wanted of me, He told me, I (very reluctantly) took it, bore all that the decision came with and I can assure you, it did not come easy. But as the year was coming to an end, I had my testimony of the great and wonderful things God can do in our lives if we let Him take the wheel.

It occurs to me that most of the time I get the direction wrong. I start downstream with my own concerns and bring them to God. I inform God, as if God did not already know. I plead with God, as if hoping to change God’s mind and overcome divine reluctance. Instead, I should start upstream where the flow begins; with God. 

And just like a river flows from its source, so it is with God... there is the source, He is the source. 

In my resolutions and commitments for this year, I am still going back to the source. From my 2015 experience, I know God may lead me through tough times, I may have to go through fire, but eventually I know God's plan for my life is a good one and my testimony at the end of it will be one of victory. 

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you a hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

So before you forget the resolutions you made 6 days ago, before you make all that a memory... ask God what He wants from you in 2016, make that your resolution and He that we serve and believe in is able, He is faithful to bring it to completion. I can assure you, it might mean that you let go of certain comforts in your life, or that you take a direction you never expected... all in all, whatever He will tell you to do, it is all good. 

Happy new year once again and may you have God guided resolutions in 2016!!!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope your 2016 will be guided by God's will.

      Delete
  2. Ushasema kaka brasa. very timely man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what i need this year very nice...i also ask God what he wants from me this year i had not made any resolutions btw..he

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. Insightful I must say!

    ReplyDelete