Friday 22 July 2016

LOOKING IN THE MIRROR…



 

Every morning I wake up and get myself ready to face the day. It’s the usual process of spending time with God, a little bit of a workout whenever I can, taking a shower, dressing up, taking breakfast and leaving for work… That’s more or less the standard morning I have. 

But today as I stood in front of the mirror, I couldn't help but think of the reflection I was seeing there. Is it just me or does everyone stand in front of a mirror and have lots of thought about life???

Well, I know there are a few who get in front of mirrors and just can’t help taking selfies… I guess it means that whatever/whoever they see in the mirror makes them smile and they just have to share it with the rest of the world. 

So what do you see when you look in the mirror???

Now, my I just point out that it is impossible for you to lie to yourself… You can hide a lot from the rest of the world in the way you appear, the way you dress, you can even have a smile plastered on your face every moment of your life and all that deceives us about the real you hidden inside. 

I stood in front of that mirror today and that is the same thought that went through my mind… Am I living a lie? Am I wearing a façade to show the world how everything in my life is just right and I am doing just fine???

So how then am I supposed to be? What image am I supposed to be seeing every time I stand before that mirror? What should I see???

As these questions went through my mind, I was reminded of one major fact… we were created to glorify God, we were created to worship God at every moment of our lives. When you sit down to eat breakfast, or you are seated in a matatu in traffic on your way to work, seated in that ‘boring’ staff meeting, out on your weekly Friday date, watching your favourite movie… whatever you do, it is meant to be an act of worship 


So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Cor 10:31


I was once reminded that the challenge with having us as living sacrifices for God as an act of worship, (Ref. to Romans 12:1) is that the living sacrifices can walk onto the alter every Sunday as we come to church and walk away on Monday all the way till Saturday. And I have an experience of that…

You see, looking at myself in the mirror reminded me of times when I lied to the world that I was saved yet the life I lived away from their eyes was nothing close to pleasing in the eyes of God. Yet that is what God expected of me… to reflect him at every point of my existence. 


“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with every increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the spirit.” 2 Cor 3:18


One of the main things I am learning is that God just smiles when we worship him, and by worship I do not mean when we sing and lift up our hands in church… I mean when we intentionally make sure we want to bring Him praise at every moment of our lives.

Do people hear the voice of God whenever they hear us speak???

Do people see God in the way we carry ourselves at work, walk in the streets, do our chores at home???
 
Do people see God when they look at your Facebook page, your Twitter handle, your Instagram pics and your WhatsApp Chats???

The truth is, many in this generation would rather live their lives to please others, to feel appreciated by peers, to have the best friends, to live life the way the world would expect. But living as a follower of Christ calls for us to forsake the world and follow Christ.

There is no point we put aside our salvation and wear the world and live like it. The expectation is that we wear a garment of salvation and we never take it off… we get to live as reflections of Christ so that the world can attest to the fact that we have a God living in us.

The other day, one of the Teens asked me if we are supposed to spend every moment telling people about Christ. And I answered him this way… Our daily lives are supposed to be a ministry in itself, the way we walk, the way we talk, the way we eat, sleep, dance, study, work; that is our avenue of preaching Christ. It calls us to maintain the same reflection of Christ living in us.

So… What do you see when you stand in front of the mirror; do you see Christ, or the World?

No comments:

Post a Comment